Action Mesothelioma Day
This annual event was inaugurated in 2006 to raise awareness of mesothelioma and to promote an Action Mesothelioma Charter which can be found on this link. Each year, events are organized by asbestos victims support groups in cities throughout the UK.
Action Mesothelioma Charter
We, the undersigned, believe that:
Mesothelioma patients and their families have a right
- a speedy and accurate diagnosis, supported by a Multi Disciplinary
- good quality information from a variety of sources available in
different media and languages;
- support of a suitably qualified nurse and other Multi Disciplinary
Team members throughout their illness;
- be considered for the best possible treatments available with the
support and input of a Multi Disciplinary Team;
- have up-to-date advice on benefits and help in applying for them,
and receive prompt payment of benefits;
- have legal advice and guidance from a firm of solicitors
experienced in mesothelioma claims;
- guidance on end of life decisions and care at home;
- provision of a consistent nationwide service from coroners using
a clear and open process with a maximum case length of three months.
And call upon the
- have mesothelioma made a national priority by the Cancer Tsar;
- fund good quality research, alongside other national bodies, on
mesothelioma with a view to improving diagnosis, treatment and
outcomes for patients;
- support the production of clinical Guidelines on the best practice
of diagnosis and management of mesothelioma;
- ensure the Health and Safety Executive vigorously enforce existing
regulations on asbestos.
And call upon all
- prevent future exposure to asbestos by providing a safe working
environment with all necessary equipment to protect employees;
- work with unions and individuals to ensure enforcement of current
regulations to safeguard all employees;
- identify all asbestos in their properties and organise its safe
removal where practical or necessary when work is being carried out.
a malignant lung disease which results mainly from exposure to asbestos.
Someone dies every five hours from mesothelioma in the UK.
Back to top